Sunday, January 10, 2010

There is a Season..

…A time to keep silence, and
a time to speak...


The past 9 months have been a season for silence and reflection for me and now I am ready to speak, or in this case write again.

Why have I not blogged for so long? All of the usual reasons people usually give, I suppose. Changes in schedule, too many things taking up my time, but in the end, maybe it’s just because I have not had a lot of things that I wanted to blog about. I’ll keep this simple and just say that I’ve had a lot on my mind these past 9 months. Not necessilary bad stuff, just life. Things to sort out in both the personal and business arenas.

Frankly, my head has not been wrapped around my own training, but now a new year has begun and I have set some training goals for myself. I’ve had a physical issue going on. Not anything to be really alarmed about. It is a posterior chain tightness that I am finally getting some help with. Seems that tight muscles have caused a sort of hip alignment problem, or maybe the hip has been dysfunctional for so long it’s causing the muscles to operate in a dysfunctional manner. Who knows, either way I think I’ve had this for a very long time. It’s gotten to the point where my sciatic nerve is also being irritated. I am trying a combination of chiropractic and soft-tissue work to see if I can find some relief. I am able to train, but I just try not to over- do and sometimes I have to take an extra day off from running.

One area that I am very pleased with is the progress my lady bootcampers have made this past year. They have not only made gains in fitness, but in confidence. They have set and met race goals, including half marathons, mud run, several 5 and 10ks. One of them raced The Army 10 Miler in Washington D.C. All of this makes me very happy. As a coach there is nothing better than seeing clients get excited about their training because they have now found a purpose and direction for it. Aside from general fitness for life, which is the main reason my ladies are training, they are now seeing that they can have fun challenging themselves to try new things. They are realizing that they are far more capable than they initially thought. Now they want more...they want to get stronger, faster and fitter and they are putting in the effort to achieve these goals. They have organized themselves into two teams of five for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run this June. I am so very proud of them.

So what about my training? My last blog was about the Pasadena Marathon, and so my first blog of the year will begin with THE PASADENA MARATHON because I am giving it another go on FEBRUARY 21, 2010.

I have been training for the marathon with our Rouge racing team. I’ve done a decent job of keeping the training schedule and I am finally seeing some improvements in running times. I finished in 4:38 last year. I would love to pull that back to a 4:15. If I can shake this hip thing, I should be able to do it. I have the endurance. My 5K pace, my 400’s my 800s all tell me I should be able to pull a 4:15. Good hip health, relief from tightness is what I need to focus on if I am to achieve my goal finish time.

So...the silence has been broken, and a new year has begun, and I am happy for the new beginning.

Mountain Goat signing off for now.

1 comment:

Followers