Thursday, January 14, 2010

Community & Team

COMMUNITY

"com⋅mu⋅ni⋅ty  Pronunciation [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]

1.a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually prec. by the): the business community; the community of scholars."

TEAM
1. a number of persons forming one of the sides in a game or contest: a football team.
2. a number of persons associated in some joint action: a team of advisers.
3. to gather or join in a team, a band, or a cooperative effort (usually fol. by up, together, etc.).

Synonyms:
10. combine, unite, ally, merge.

Tonight was track night for our group: Team Crossfit Elite Fitness Academy/Bootcamp. What I saw out there makes me feel a little better about humanity in general. I will explain.

Even though I was training with them, during my recovery time I was able to look at what was taking place on the track.

What I saw was a community of people who, while training as individuals, simultaneously encouraged and motivate one another. We had a very diverse field out there. From walker/joggers to some of our top runners. So what do I see? Our fastest cheering on our beginners, motivating them to finish. Many runners while at rest, watching other runners come in, yelling words of encouragement, "you got it", "nice work", "don't stop." The individuals of this community became a team..of their own volition.

We have some strong athletes in our fitness community. I may not know every one yet, but I know a lot of them. I'm around them enough to see what type of attitude they take towards each other and towards our beginners. I have only come across a few jerks and they are gone. Seriously, too many gifted athletes can be jerks. Conceited, self-centered, condescending and just plain rude. Those kind don't stay with us. Good. What I see is support, respect and an honest care and concern between our members. Sure, there is competition too, and for some more than others. It is a healthy motivating kind of competition, coupled with good sportsmanship.

Our community comes together to train and works together as a team, inspiring one another to not only get the work done, but to do it well. I've been part of this group for 7 years, almost since it's inception and it still moves me to see us in action. I am blessed to be part of it.

No comments:

Followers